Raw 1.5 EXTENDED with 1610 Ball screw for pro or hobby.
We only sell a few of these kits as imports are severely limited. Some parts take a long time to get and the delivery time is between 2-3 weeks at the moment.
This machine is very strong compared to other CNC machines in this price range. The machine has steel reinforcements and quality parts and a real Z-axis construction. A complete Raw 1.5 weighs between 40-50 kg and is not made of weak plastic parts. Raw 1.5 Extended is so strong and robust that an adult can stand on the X axis while cutting
The difference between EXTENDED and a regular Raw 1.5.
EXTENDED comes with dual side plates, higher base and steel reinforcements for the X axis, while a standard Raw 1.5 has standard side plates, lower base. Both machines work well but the EXTENDED version is a bit stronger and is preferable if you cut a lot of aluminum as an example.
To describe a machine like this requires a lot of text so here is a summary, more advanced text below
- This is a CNC machine DIY kit that comes with everything you need except for a waste table (The black table seen in the picture above) We don’t include this due to high shipping costs. We have a guide on our site on how to make your own once the machine is ready. Since this is a kit, you have to do most yourself using our video instructions and illustrations.
- You can buy the machine with or without electronics. If you choose to include the electronics, everything you need for the electronics is included. Mounting the electronics is very easy, just follow the instructions. The electronics are low current after the transformer itself and completely harmless. Read more about the electronics below if you are new to this. You can use whatever electronics you want if it is for Nema 23 motors.
- You will also need a router or a spindle with inverter. You can use any router if it has a round shaft. You can even use a Dremel or another engraving tool if you are cutting soft materials.
- If you choose the kit without electronics then no electronic parts will be included like cables, cable chain and other parts. LED light and switches are always included in the kit. Without electronics you will get a complete machine but without any electronics at all.
- All plates are threaded but you have to thread your profiles with a M5 tap as they are sent directly from the factory, instructions are avalible on our website. The plates are laser cut which means you have to sand them up if you are going to paint them.
- If you buy any other DIY machine on the market it comes in pieces just like this machine. We call this machine a kit, because that’s what it is. This machine may have more parts and requires more assemble, but it’s worth it. You will get a machine with quality parts and much stronger than others.
- We do not know anyone who failed to get their kit together.
Once you purchase a kit you will get access to all the articles and video instructions on the site. It will take a few days to assemble the machine but it’s easy with instructions, just follow along. If you get stuck, we are one e-mail or phone call away to assist you.
Raw is designed so you can reinforce your machine with steel to make it super strong. A steel bar for the X-axis is included in the kit. Reinforcements for the Y and A axis are not included in the kit and are not needed for smaller machines. To strengthen the Y and A axis, you need a 40x40x3-4mm angle bar. Look at the drawings for instructions when you receive your kit. The Y and A axis need reinforcements for machines longer than 100 cm. When the steel reinforcements are in place, a Raw 1.5 is so strong and sturdy that a full-grown person can stand on the X-axis while cutting. Angle steel can be found online or in a well-stocked hardware store or construction store.
This machine comes with 1610 Ball screws in C7 class. The precision of this machine can be compared to expensive industrial machines. Choose ball screw if you need extreme precision and if you cut a lot of aluminum. A ballscrew machine is slower than a machine with racks but the speed of this ball screw machine (4000mm/min) is enough for most users. Standard cutting speed is between 1500-3500mm/min for most machines.
What can i cut with a Raw 1.5
Soft wood, hardwood, particleboard, Mdf, plastic, aluminum, copper, 3D cutting, engraving and much more.
Whats included in this kit?
The kit contains everything needed except for a waste table. Due to high shipping costs we ask you to make your own once the machine is done. The waste table is just regular 12MM MDF or Valchromat that you can find in any hardware store.
Spindle or router
You will also need a spindle with inverter or a regular edge cutter from Bosh, Makita or Dewalt. You will find plenty of these on ebay.co.uk for example, search for 1.5kw air cooled spindle with inverter. These are shipped from Germany without any additional taxes. We sell these but have to add high import taxes, so buy them yourself and you will save a lot of money.
Is it difficult to build the machine?
If you’re something handy, it’s not difficult at all, follow the video instructions as well as the illustrations. The electronics can seem daunting but it’s very simple, look at our video and you’ll see what it takes to assemble the electronics.
Video instructions and illustrations
All steps are carefully documented with illustrations and video instructions. You will find all instructions on how to build the machine in the article section on our page.
Is it difficult to operate the machine?
It’s always tricky to do something new but after cutting your first part you will understand how to do it. Once you know how to do it is very easy.
Below we list the different options. There is a lot to read and can look complicated but it’s easy. If you are confused or do not have the time to build a machine, we also sell assembled machines.
Different options (Click on the tabs)
A consumption or waste table is the table itself where you tighten the piece, and which is replaced occasionally if it is worn. We don’t include a waste table to this kit due to high shipping costs. You can easily cut your own waste table once your machine is buildt, look at the instructions over at the article section. We have clamps (to fasten the work piece to the table) as a separate product or make them yourself.
Valchromat is a more durable MDF that is translucent. If you treat Valchromat with oil, it will become waterproof and perfect as a table for a CNC machine that can get wet when you cut aluminum, for example. Valchromat is sold all over Europe and you should be able to find that. If not, you can use regular 12mm MDF
We use drivers for this machine, Arduino is too weak.
Drivers with Breakout Board are the most professional electronics you can have for these types of machines. They are more expensive and require an older computer with printer port and 32Bit Windows operating system (if you run Mach3 software) or a special USB adapter that converts the LPT signals to USB. (click on the link for more info).
Some of the benefits of drivers are that the machine gets much stronger and has many more features like advanced touch-off plate (reset plate), calibration switches, on and off spindle, laser and plasma functions. The range of software is much larger and you can also use software that the industry uses.
If you choose Driver Electronics, you will be able to calibrate your machine so that it starts at 90-degree angle and you can also have an advanced touch off plate that we offer as a separate product or you can make your own. Read here what you need to run drivers electronics https://rawcnc.com/set-up-mach-3/
You can look at our website which drivers we use.
We only use 1 Power supply of 14.5A. Each motor is 3A so together it will be 12A.This is at the limit of what is recommended. We have always used only 1 power supply which is sufficient for a standard Raw machine as we do not run the motors at full speed. If you are running the machine hard and at high speed, then it may be a good idea to split your motors into 2 power supply units. We have never needed 2 for one machine but if this is something you think is needed then buy one more.
Driver elektronics with USB
There are not many adapters that can handle this and we only know one that works well, read more here
Has a more advanced box with the possibility of having DIN connectors and power switch. We do not include DIN contacts and power switches in the basic package, but they can be purchased if you want it. You can do well without this and is only an option for anyone who wants it. The only thing to keep in mind is to be careful and if you happen to break anything you have to buy new parts. We have no warranty on electrical components as it is beyond our control of how it is mounted.
You need a spindle with inverter or a regular edge cutter from Bosh, Makita or Dewalt. You will find plenty of these on ebay.co.uk for example, search for 1.5kw air cooled spindle with inverter. These are shipped from Germany without any additional taxes. We sell these but have to add high import taxes, so buy them yourself and you will save alot of money.
Software for Drivers
For drivers we use a software called Mach3, there is also a newer version, Mach4, but the 3rd is sufficient. To set up your files, you can use Estlcam as mentioned above or a more professional program such as Vcarve. Read more on this page: https://rawcnc.com/set-up-mach-3/
Precision is a balance between the user and machine. It’s about how well your drawings are, spindle quality, spindle speed and how fast you cut. At normal speeds, the machine has a precissin compared to expencive industrial machines. This machine is the result of many years of development. We have cut several thousand meters of material with machines like these and done it daily for many years. An aluminum machine cannot be compared to a 1-ton steel machine for 100000 Eur so do not have too high expectations. You should also not underestimate a machine like this. We have several large Swedish and foreign companies that cut with our machines in professional environments from cross country skis, hokey clubs, boats and car parts, speakers and aquarium manufacturing. We also have companies that have replaced their professional machines with ours since you can buy 50 machines like these at the price of one and if you only cut simple parts, this machine is at least as good.
Who buys our machines and kits?
We have customers from all over the world from Asia to the United States and down to Africa. Those who buy our machines range from Hobbyists, companies, schools and institutions.
Payment, tax and delivery (Please read, important)
We accept bank payment and Paypal
As a EU member you need to pay Swedish tax of 25% if you don’t own a valid company. If you own a company, you will need to enter your VAT number at checkout and the tax will not be added to the price. We will check with the registry to see that you have a valid company, if not we will charge you the tax even after delivery. If you have trouble at the check out, pleas untick the box for “Ship to a different address?” and try again. Your packet might come in two or 3 separate deliveries.
Non EU members in Europe (Norway, Switzerland for example)
The tax is not added in our shop but you will be required to pay your tax at the border. Please contact your customs for more information.
Size: Width: 1000mm (1180mm with motor), length: 1000mm (1110mm with motor)
Clearence under the z-axis: aprox. 120mm
- 2x 8mm side plates in Aluminum
- 4x 8mm corner plates in Aluminum
- 1x 6mm Z-Axle plate in Aluminum
- 1x 6mm X-Axle plate in Aluminum
- 2x 4mm extra side plates in steel
- 1x 4mm extra backplate in steel
- 20×40 aluminum profiles
- 20×60 aluminum profiles
- 20×80 aluminum profiles
- 1x Steel bar for the X-axis
- 2x Angle bar 40x40x4x985mm
- Steel bars for u-track bearings
- All screws in different sizes
- All nuts in different sizes
- All washers in different sizes
- 4x block bearing 20mm
- 4x axle support 20mm
- 2x 20mm steel axles 335mm
- 1x ballscrew 1605 for Z-axis
- 1x ballscrew housing
- 16x high quality U-track bearings
- 8x flange bearing 10-12mm
- 4x coupling
- 3x Ball screw 1610
- 3x Ball screw housing
- 22 x spacers and screws
- Z-axis LED
- Instructions in digital form
Electronics and box with cables (Drivers)
- Cable Chains
- Cables 4 conductors for motors
- Shielded cables 2 conductors for switches
- 4x Drivers
- Breakout board
- 14.5A power supply
- Printer Cable
- 4x Nema 23 motors
- 1x Electronics Box
- 4 x switches
This is included in all machines with optional electronics package (compare with other manufacturers in the same price range)
- Strong nema 23 engines
- Arduino or Driver Electronics
- 15mm steel reinforced timing belts or MOD1 racks
- High quality cable chains
- Strong aluminum and steel plates up to 8mm in thickness
- Ability to upgrade electronics
- Ability to upgrade to rack drive
- Ability to upgrade size up to 130x180cm
- Ability to steel reinforce the A and Y axis
- Steel reinforced X-axis
- 100% steel bearings and steel parts and not plastic like other machines
- A real Z-axis construction that can withstand real work. Our Z-axisis are expencive and of quality parts
- Universal spindle holder for standard routers or spindles with about 65mm shaft
- Shielded cables for switches!
- 4 Switches with cable depending on electronics
- Led light for Z-axis with cable
To build the machine you need
- A stable table at least 1x1m
- Saw to cut steel (racks)
- Power screwdriver/drill
- Drills 4-8mm
- Solder pen
- A set of Torx keys
- A set of hex keys
- A set of screwdrivers
- A set of wrenches or pliers
To operate the machine you need (Driver Version):
- Software such as Mach3
- Software to draw (Inkscape and Google SketchUp are free)
- A table of the same size as the machine. Make the table a little longer for the keyboard and the screen
Here is an example of the illustrations
All video instructions can be found on YouTube. As a customer you will get additional instructions only available on our home page.
Link to YouTube videos (opens in a new window)
First cut with the machine from the instructions
Building a radiator cover with a Raw CNC machine
Instructions for electricity. The difficult thing for many is to connect electricity. Watch the video below to see how easy it is.