Raw 1.5 EXTENDED CNC kit 1800x1300mm with Racks and pinions for pro or hobby.
We will stop selling larger machines. You can still build this machine with our hardware package. Go to this product and read more: https://rawcnc.com/product/hardware-for-raw-1-5-rack-and-pinion-extended-version/
This machine is very strong compared to other CNC machines in this price range. The machine has steel reinforcements and quality parts and a real Z-axis construction. A complete Raw 1.5 Extended XL weighs between 80-100kg and is not made of weak plastic parts and with a shaky construction. Raw 1.5 Extended is so strong and robust that an adult can stand on the X axis while cutting
To describe a machine like this requires a lot of text so here is a summary, more advanced text below
- This is a CNC machine DIY kit that comes with everything you need except for a waste table (The black table seen in the picture above) We don’t include this due to high shipping costs. We have a guide on our site on how to make your own once the machine is ready. We include steel reinforcements but as an option. Steel is expensive to ship, and you can find it for a better price locally. Steel reinforcement means a square tube of 60x40mm about 2mm thick and 123cm long. 2x angle iron 40x40x4, 164cm long. You can find this at your local hardware store or on the internet.
- You can buy the machine with or without electronics. If you choose to include the electronics, everything you need for the electronics is included. The cables are cut to the right lengths and mounting the electronics is very easy, just follow the instructions. The electronics are low current after the transformer itself and completely harmless. Read more about the electronics below if you are new to this. You can use whatever electronics you want if it is for Nema 23 motors.
- You will also need a router or a spindle with inverter. You can use any router if it has a round shaft. You can even use a Dremel or another engraving tool if you are cutting soft materials.
- If you choose the kit without electronics then no electronic parts will be included like cables, cable chain and other parts. LED light and switches are always included in the kit. Without electronics you will get a complete machine but without any electronics at all.
- All plates are threaded and grinded in a trommel and ready for painting. The profiles are also fully threaded and prepared with steelrods.
- If you buy any other DIY machine on the market it comes in pieces just like this machine. We call this machine a kit, because that’s what it is. This machine may have more parts and requires more assemble, but it’s worth it. You will get a machine with quality parts and much stronger than others.
That’s all, if you choose machine and electronics from us you will have a complete machine except for the parts mentioned above. Once you purchase a kit you will get access to all the articles and video instructions on the site. It will take a few days to assemble the machine but it’s easy with instructions, just follow along. If you get stuck, we are one e-mail or phone call away to assist you.
Raw is designed so you can reinforce your machine with steel to make it super strong. We include all steel reinforcements needed in this kit. When the steel reinforcements are in place, a Raw 1.5 is so strong and robust that an full grown person can stand on the X axis while cutting.
Rack and pinion
A machine with a rack drive requires top quality gears. If you buy gears/pinions from various online stores, they will be in such poor quality that the machine sounds and vibrates. We have been searching for gears that are grinded 3-4 times or more and these are those we now include in your kit. The gears come from a Swedish company and are very expensive and not like the others you find out there. The rack, on the other hand, is usually the same everywhere. Even with good gears/pinions, a rack machine has a mechanical sound since it’s steel against steel without lubrication. The sound does not affect the cutting results.
What can i cut with a Raw 1.5
Soft wood, hardwood, particleboard, Mdf, plastic, aluminum, copper, 3D cutting, engraving and much more.
Whats included in this kit?
The kit contains everything needed except for a waste table. Due to high shipping costs we ask you to make your own once the machine is done. The waste table is just regular 12MM MDF or Valchromat that you can find in any hardware store.
Spindle or router
You will also need a spindle with inverter or a regular edge cutter from Bosh, Makita or Dewalt. You will find plenty of these on ebay.co.uk for example, search for 1.5kw air cooled spindle with inverter. These are shipped from Germany without any additional taxes. We sell these but have to add high import taxes, so buy them yourself and you will save a lot of money.
Is it difficult to build the machine?
If you’re something handy, it’s not difficult at all, follow the video instructions as well as the illustrations. The electronics can seem daunting but it’s very simple, look at our video and you’ll see what it takes to assemble the electronics.
Video instructions and illustrations
All steps are carefully documented with illustrations and video instructions. You will find all instructions on how to build the machine here: http://rawcnc.com/drawings-and-video-instructions-for-raw-1-5-cnc-diy-kit-100x100cm-with-timing-belts/
Is it difficult to operate the machine?
It’s always tricky to do something new but after cutting your first part you will understand how to do it. Once you know how to do it is very easy.
Below we list the different options. There is a lot to read and can look complicated but it’s easy. If you are confused or do not have the time to build a machine, we also sell assembled machines.
Different options (Click on the tabs)
A consumption or waste table is the table itself where you tighten the piece, and which is replaced occasionally if it is worn. We don’t include a waste table to this kit due to high shipping costs. You can easily cut your own waste table once your machine is buildt, look at the instructions over at the article section. We have clamps (to fasten the work piece to the table) as a separate product or make them yourself.
Valchromat is a more durable MDF that is translucent. If you treat Valchromat with oil, it will become waterproof and perfect as a table for a CNC machine that can get wet when you cut aluminum, for example. Valchromat is sold all over Europe and you should be able to find that. If not, you can use regular 12mm MDF
We use drivers for this machine, Arduino is too weak.
Drivers with Breakout Board are the most professional electronics you can have for these types of machines. They are more expensive and require an older computer with printer port and 32Bit Windows operating system (if you run Mach3 software) or a special USB adapter that converts the LPT signals to USB. (click on the link for more info).
Some of the benefits of drivers are that the machine gets much stronger and has many more features like advanced touch-off plate (reset plate), calibration switches, on and off spindle, laser and plasma functions. The range of software is much larger and you can also use software that the industry uses.
If you choose Driver Electronics, you will be able to calibrate your machine so that it starts at 90-degree angle and you can also have an advanced touch off plate that we offer as a separate product or you can make your own. Read here what you need to run drivers electronics http://rawcnc.com/set-up-mach-3/
You can look at our website which drivers we use.
Driver elektronics with USB
There are not many adapters that can handle this and we only know one that works well, read more here
Has a more advanced box with the possibility of having DIN connectors and power switch. We do not include DIN contacts and power switches in the basic package, but they can be purchased if you want it. You can do well without this and is only an option for anyone who wants it. The only thing to keep in mind is to be careful and if you happen to break anything you have to buy new parts. We have no warranty on electrical components as it is beyond our control of how it is mounted.
Fully assembled electric box
If you do not have time to mount the electronic box, we can help you a bit on the way. We can build the electronics box for you, but you must solder all the DIN contacts on you cables that goes in to the box itself.
Choose between trapezoidal screw and ball screw. Ball screw makes your Z axis stronger and has a softer movement. The screw is changed from the trapezoidal screw to a 16 mm ball screw with nut and housing. The block bearings are more widely spaced in all directions to stabilize the unit. The new Z-axis unit is 4-5cm longer than the standard Z-axis. Choose trapezoidal screw if you cut at hobby level while ball screw is for you who cut more professionally.
You need a spindle with inverter or a regular edge cutter from Bosh, Makita or Dewalt. You will find plenty of these on ebay.co.uk for example, search for 1.5kw air cooled spindle with inverter. These are shipped from Germany without any additional taxes. We sell these but have to add high import taxes, so buy them yourself and you will save alot of money.
Software for Drivers
For drivers we use a software called Mach3, there is also a newer version, Mach4, but the 3rd is sufficient. To set up your files, you can use Estlcam as mentioned above or a more professional program such as Vcarve. Read more on this page: http://rawcnc.com/set-up-mach-3/
Precision is a balance between the user and machine. It’s about how well your drawings are, spindle quality, spindle speed and how fast you cut. At normal speeds, the machine has a measured accuracy of about 0.2 mm. This machine is the result of many years of development. We have cut several thousand meters of material with machines like these and done it daily for many years. An aluminum machine cannot be compared to a 1-ton steel machine for 100000 Eur so do not have too high expectations. You should also not underestimate a machine like this. We have several large Swedish and foreign companies that cut with our machines in professional environments from cross country skis, hokey clubs, boats and car parts, speakers and aquarium manufacturing. We also have companies that have replaced their professional machines with ours since you can buy 50 machines like these at the price of one and if you only cut simple parts in wood, this machine is at least as good.
Who buys our machines and kits?
We have customers from all over the world from Asia to the United States and down to Africa. Those who buy our machines range from Hobbyists, companies, schools and institutions.
Payment, tax and delivery (Please read, important)
We accept bank payment and Paypal
As a EU member you need to pay Swedish tax of 25% if you don’t own a valid company. If you own a company, you will need to enter your VAT number at checkout and the tax will not be added to the price. We will check with the registry to see that you have a valid company, if not we will charge you the tax even after delivery. If you have trouble at the check out, pleas untick the box for “Ship to a different address?” and try again. Your packet might come in two or 3 separate deliveries.
Non EU members in Europe (Norway, Switzerland for example)
The tax is not added in our shop but you will be required to pay your tax at the border. Please contact your customs for more information.
- Width X-Axis Inside: 1300mm (1530mm total)
- Length: 1800mm
- Cutting Area: 1020mm (Width) x 1500mm (Length) The workpiece can be longer than the machine, ie MDF full board
- Height under z axis: 125mm
- 2x 8mm side plates in Aluminum
- 4x 6mm corner plates in Aluminum
- 1x 6mm Z-Axle plate in Aluminum
- 1x 6mm X-Axle plate in Aluminum
- 2x 4mm extra side plates in steel
- 1x 4mm extra backplate in steel
- 3x 4mm steel plate
- 3x 4mm ball bearing plates in steel
- 20×40 aluminum profiles
- 20×60 aluminum profiles
- 20×80 aluminum profiles
- 1x Steel bar for the X-axis (optional)
- 2x Angle bar 40x40x4x1800mm (optional)
- Steel bars for u-track bearings
- All screws in different sizes
- All nuts in different sizes
- All washers in different sizes
- 4x block bearing 20mm
- 4x axle support 20mm
- 2x 20mm steel axles 32cm
- 1x Delrin nut with anti-backlash function
- 1 x trapezoidal screw 32cm
- 16x high quality U-track bearings
- bearings 8x22x7mm
- 2x flange bearing 10mm
- 1x coupling
- Timing belts 15mm and steel reinforced or Racks Mod1
- 3x pulleys or gears 15 teeth Mod1
- 28 x spacers and screws
- 6x brackets
- 6x Hole plates
- Z-axis LED
- Instructions in digital form
Electronics and box with cables (Drivers)
- Cable Chains
- Shielded cables 4 conductors for motors
- Shielded cables 2 conductors for switches
- 4x Drivers
- Breakout board
- 14.5A power supply
- Printer Cable
- 4x Nema 23 motors
- 1x Electronics Box
- 4 x switches
This is included in all machines with optional electronics package (compare with other manufacturers in the same price range)
- Strong nema 23 engines
- Arduino or Driver Electronics
- 15mm steel reinforced timing belts or MOD1 racks
- High quality cable chains
- Strong aluminum and steel plates up to 8mm in thickness
- Ability to upgrade electronics
- Ability to upgrade to rack drive
- Ability to upgrade size up to 130x180cm
- Ability to steel reinforce the A and Y axis
- Steel reinforced X-axis
- 100% steel bearings and steel parts and not plastic like other machines
- A real Z-axis construction that can withstand real work. Our Z-axisis are expencive and of quality parts
- Universal spindle holder for standard routers or spindles with about 65mm shaft
- Shielded cables!
- 4 Switches with cable depending on electronics
- Led light for Z-axis with cable
To build the machine you need
- A stable table at least 130x180cm
- Saw to cut steel (racks)
- Power screwdriver/drill
- Drills 4-8mm
- Solder pen
- A set of Torx keys
- A set of hex keys
- A set of screwdrivers
- A set of wrenches or pliers
To operate the machine you need (Driver Version):
- Software such as Mach3
- Software to draw (Inkscape and Google SketchUp are free)
- A table of the same size as the machine. Make the table a little longer for the keyboard and the screen
Here is an example of the illustrations
The video instructions can be found on our homepage or on Youtube.
Building a radiator cover with a Raw CNC machine
Instructions for electricity. The difficult thing for many is to connect electricity. Watch the video below to see how easy it is.